Sunday, August 30, 2009

How Much Power?

Let's figure out how much power we are producing today. When the sun popped out this morning I used a DVM (Digital Volt Meter) to see how much power the Sharp Solar Panels were producing (see the photo below) I had readings of approximately 4 amps and about 41 Volts on each panel. Using a formula derrived from Ohms Law I can easily calculate the power these pannels are throwing out.

P = I * E

P of course is equal to the number of watts.
I stands for the current or the amps we measured.
E represents the voltage measured from the panels.


So, 4 x 41 = 164 per EACH panel...pretty cool that's 328 Watts as a total for both panels. However that was not in full sun. Two hours later I tested out the array in midday sun and no clouds. Here are the readings:
5.26 amps 39.6 volts and 5.3 amps 39.4 volts WOW....for a total of 417.12 Watts!!!!!!!!!!!! What a huge difference full sun makes.

AH...YES By the way...they ARE live!!!!

Photovoltaic modules are live as soon as the sun rays hit them.
I don't use a DVM on a daily basis and OOPS...I forgot to switch the little power cord on the bottom to switch from measuring Volts to Amps...a little spark and a poof of smoke quickly reminded me. Mental note to self...double, triple check and THINK...as soon as the sun hits them they ARE live.

I'm awaiting the solar controller, combiner box and batteries so my next task will be to dig a ditch for the buried electical cable to the house. OH and I'll have to visit the Building Inspector for a permit to bring the harvest to work for me inside the house. Please wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment