Thursday, June 10, 2010

Solar Powered Field Day Station On June 26th

Field Day is the largest on-air event in amateur radio.  It's held once a year on the fourth weekend of June.  The date this year is on June 26th and it starts at 2pm.  It's an exercise in emergency  communication skills.

 http://www.arrl.org/field-day

I will be operating using my solar panels and battery bank.  I'm not sure if anyone has ever participated in the event in New England using 100% solar powered batteries. I'm hoping for a nice sunny day on Saturday and I'll figure out how many watts I can run at night during the contest so I don't run down the battery bank.  I'll be monitering the battery bank health with the shunt and Flex Net.   My Elecraft K3 drains about 17-22 amps at 100W when I'm  "running" (calling CQ test).   I can always crank down the power to lower power if I have to....I'll just be a few db lower.








No comments:

Post a Comment