Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Wind...Hoping for a Trickle Charge

 Air-X

Our micro wind turbine arrived today.

I honestly don't expect much from this turbine.
Although we get some wind here, our location is not ideally suited for a turbine.  With my expectations set low I'll be happy with anything we get.  There are times here when wind is high and we have no sun.  It would be nice to be able to even trickle charge our battery bank, especially when we draw from it during times of no electricity from the gird, typically after a wind or ice storm.

The turbine itself is small, and with about 12mph wind will produce about 38Kw per month..not much.  I expect perhaps even less than that.  What I do hope for is it will be a small way to help charge the bank at night or with no sun but some wind.  We did better than I expected during our recent three day outage.  It's amazing how far you can stretch energy needs when push comes to shove.  The winds were consistantly high (over 25mph) for two days of the outage so with the wind turbine it would have helped to recharge our battery bank...we'll be finding out soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment